Customise your COLOP e-mark app with your own fonts!
Adding fonts to your COLOP e-mark app is a great way of customising the library to suit you. Whether you need specific fonts to help you stay in line with your company’s corporate branding, or fancy fonts to take your craft creations to the next level. We’ve put together this handy instruction guide to teach you how to upload fonts using your iOS device – either Apple iPad or iPhone – it’s super simple to do, you’ll adding fonts in no time!
Types of fonts accepted
Before uploading fonts to the COLOP e-mark app, always ensure you are authorised to do so. Like images, many fonts are subject to copyright or licensing agreements. If you’re struggling to find fonts that are free to use, Google have a large library of royalty-free fonts which is updated regularly. These can be found here: https://fonts.google.com/
The COLOP e-mark app accepts two types of font files, these are:
- TTF – True Type Fonts
- OTF – Open Type Fonts
Other font files will not work with the app.
Before adding fonts to your COLOP e-mark app
Before attempting to add fonts to your e-mark app, it’s important that your e-mark app is closed down completely, if it’s still running in the background adding fonts will not work.
To ensure your e-mark app is closed completely, follow these steps:
- Double tap your home button – this will bring up a screen showing all of your open apps
- Find the e-mark app by swiping left or right
- When you find it, flick/swipe it up to make it disappear out of the top of your screen.
This process is also known as clearing your Task Manager.
Adding fonts to your COLOP e-mark app
- Generally, when you download fonts, you either do it directly from the website, or you have them e-mailed to you. Either way, they both come as zip files which need saving to your device. If you’ve downloaded directly from a website onto your device, these will usually drop into your Downloads folder. If you’re downloading them to your device from an e-mail:
- Click on the zip attachment to open
- Once open, at the top right of your screen you should have the download icon (square with arrow pointing up), click this and save the attachment to your files – you might need to swipe up on the save options to find your files – make a note of the folder it’s saved in.
- Now back at the home screen of your device, go to your files and find where your saved zip file is.
- Click on the zip file to open in – in there you will see two or more individual files.
- At the top right of your screen, click select and then select the TTF or OTF files – do not click any others.
- Once you have the TTF and/or OTF files selected, press the download icon across the bottom (square with arrow pointing up).
- Depending on your device and the version of iOS you’re using, at point 3 you might need to click to preview. At this point the zip will open and you can scroll left/right to find the TTF or OTF file and save them one by one into your files.
- You need to save the fonts in the custom fonts folder within the e-mark file: Save to files -> On My iPhone/iPad -> e-mark -> eMark -> customfonts -> save
- Once you have saved your TTF and OTF files into your customfonts folder, it’s always a good idea to check the folder to ensure the correct files have copied across.
- Back at the home screen of your device, go to your files and navigate to the customfonts folder: files -> On My iPhone/iPad -> e-mark -> eMark -> customfonts
- It’s important that only TTF and OTF files are in here, if there are other files that are not TTF or OTF, these must be deleted, or moved from this folder to enable your new fonts to work.
- If you’re happy that your fonts have copied across to the correct folder, you can now open your COLOP e-mark app.
- When you create a new imprint, add some text, then edit it to change the fonts – your new custom fonts should appear in the fonts list, but will be highlighted in a different colour so they stand out.
Get in Touch
We understand that all iOS devices can work slightly differently, so if you run into trouble or need any additional help or advice, please do not hesitate to contact us on: 0121 622 8900 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org